Welcome to New England College

Support Services


New England College is committed to providing support services to all of our students throughout their learning journey from orientation to completion. New England College ensures that all staff members understand their responsibilities towards providing students with help and support and necessary referral services outside of New England College.

Our Student Support Service Framework assists students with various issues related to academic, social, accommodation, health, and special needs.

For more information, please contact New England College via info@nec.edu.au or (03) 9596 6488. All student support requests are treated with confidentiality.

Academic Support

New England College will monitor your course progress and attendance in classes throughout your course. Guidance and support will be provided to you if your academic results are unsatisfactory or if New England College identifies you as being at risk in obtaining satisfactory course progress and English language proficiency. You will receive advice and support from New England College staff members to ensure you maintain appropriate academic progress and commitment to achieve satisfactory results in your academic studies.

You can contact the Campus Student Support Officer to discuss any academic, attendance or other related issues at any time. The Student Support Officer will be able to provide advice and guidance, or referral, where required. Campus support staff are available via the student reception desk.

Alternatively, students can contact the college via info@nec.edu.au or (03) 9596 6488.

Study Assistance

New England College has a Student Support Officer available to assist you with any kind of support you need. Visit our Campus reception desk to speak with support staff at any time during college opening hours.

Our Student Support Office can assist you with many aspects of your learning journey, including:

Also refer to our comprehensive Student Handbook for a list of current services available:
Student Handbook

Personal Support

At New England College, we understand that there are many issues that may affect your studies including personal and social issues.

At any time during the college hours of operation, our Student Support Officer is available to gain advice and guidance on personal, accommodation or family / social issues. Where the Student Support Officer feels further support may be required, a referral to an appropriate support service will be organised for you.

For more information, please contact New England College via info@nec.edu.au or (03) 9596 6488. All student support requests are treated with confidentiality

External Support Services

There are many consumer protection and support services available for international students. This includes services provided directly by institutions as well as those provided by a range of state, territory and federal government departments.

Consumer Protection

Australian has a strong consumer protection framework to protect the rights of Australian consumers, including international students in Australia. The Australian Consumer Law includes a national law guaranteeing consumer rights when buying goods and services. You should contact the relevant government trade and consumer agency in your state or territory, if you:

Visit australia.gov.au or www.consumerlaw.gov.au to find the relevant government agency for where you are living and studying.

Overseas Students Ombudsman

The Overseas Students Ombudsman (OSO) investigates complaints about problems that overseas students have with private education and training institutions in Australia. The Ombudsman’s services are free, independent and impartial. You can find out more about this service on their website:

www.oso.gov.au The OSO also produces an email newsletter for international students. You can subscribe to the newsletter on the OSO website.

Victorian Ombudsman – https://www.ombudsman.vic.gov.au/

Telephone: 1800 806 314

Please note calls from a mobile may attract higher charges. We can call you back if you let us know you are calling from a mobile. If you need a translator, call 131 450. If you are deaf of have a hearing or speech impairment, you can use the National Relay Service. Give the National Relay Service our telephone number and they will call us.

Address: Level 2, 570 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000

Important: The ombudsman should only be contacted after you have exhausted the complaints and appeals processes with the college.

Tuition Protection Service

The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is an initiative of the Australian Government to assist you if your institution (referred to as ‘Education Provider’ under the TPS) is unable to fully deliver your course of study. The TPS may also assist you if you have withdrawn from, or not started your course and are eligible for a refund of tuition fees and the institution has not paid them.

The TPS will make ensure that you are able to either:

Complete your studies in another course or with another institution, or Receive a refund of your unspent tuition fees.

Under the Tuition Protection Service international students have a number of rights and obligations. For more information, visit the Tuition Protection Service website.

Student Associations

Australia has a number of student associations representing and assisting students from Australian institutions.

National associations include: 

Council of International Students Australia (CISA) – national peak student representative body for international students studying at the postgraduate, undergraduate, private college, TAFE, ELICOS and foundation level.

Australian Federation of International Students (AFIS) – assisting international students in maximizing the scope and potential of their experience living and studying in Australia.

Disability Support

Australia has laws that protect individuals from discrimination in many areas of public life, including education. A person with a disability has just as much right to study as any other student. This means that institutions cannot: Refuse admission on the basis of disability.

Accept a student with a disability on less favourable terms than other students (for example, asking for higher fees).

Deny or limit access to a student with a disability (for example, not allowing access to excursions, or having inaccessible student common rooms or lecture facilities).


While many larger institutions have childcare facilities with trained staff, there are also a wide variety of private and not-for-profit childcare centers available around Australia. International students who receive direct financial assistance from the government, through a government scholarship, may be eligible to receive the child care benefit.

To find out if you are eligible for child care financial assistance, read more at the Australia.gov.au website.

Other support services

Some other support services that may be useful to know while you are studying in Australia are:

Emergency matters

Contact details – 000 and ask for Police, Fire Brigade or Ambulance
Advise your location and details of the incident. Stay on the line until the operator tells you to hang up.

Service details – Life threatening situations, such as a car crash or a fire.

Local Police – non urgent matters

Contact details – Call 131 444 (everywhere except Victoria). In Victoria you need to call your local police station (consult your local Telephone Directory)

Service details – Police attendance for non-urgent matters.


Police Beat – (07) 3020 8333 stations Woolloongabba


Contact details – 13 11 14

Service details – Lifeline provides crisis support, suicide prevention and mental health support services across Australia. These can include stresses from work, family or society physical and mental wellbeing. Lifeline offers support services by phone or through their online chat available on their website.

Kids Helpline

Contact details – 1800 551 800

Service details – If you’re between 5 and 25 and you’re feeling depressed, worried, sad, angry or confused about things like your studies personal relationships, Kids Helpline offers free 24 hour, 7 day telephone counselling support (anonymous if you prefer).

Poison Information Centre

Contact details – 131 126

Service details – Provides advice on the management, assessment and treatment of poisonous products including non-prescription pharmaceuticals, household and industrial chemicals, and plant and animal venom.

Sexual Assault counselling service

Contact details – 1800 806 292 or check: Sexual assault support services – DFFH Services

Service details – If you, or anyone you know, has experienced or is at risk of sexual assault, call one of the state-based sexual assault counselling services. These provide a free 24-hour, 7 day a week telephone counselling service (anonymous if you prefer). Many are connected to hospitals or government health departments to help you if the assault has left you with injuries.